jueves, 7 de marzo de 2013

Being...



 Being a linguist o a philologist

Along my career I always had listened about the differences between linguistics and philology, and the conclusion that I had was “philology studies the language in itself focus in its rules and a good way to use, this takes in account the literature and the writing text along the time, instead of linguistics which studies the language its use in a specific context, it is more flexible with the rules and uses because the most important is the realization language.

Nowadays, I think so the linguistics and philologists are closer that I had ever imagined. We are interested in the language development; we are excited by the same thing “the words”, in a big conception. I am a classical philologist and, of course, I understand the classical languages, Latin and Greek, for this reason I can get the meaning of words through the etymology, it is a passion for me, I learn vocabulary in my native language and in foreign language.
I love to study the language in itself, its structure, its uses, its meaning, its history and I am every days interested in learning something new about the languages. Maybe it is the reason that I have to follow the Russian as a foreign language in my degree at the University of Colombia, where for my fortune, l could choice this language, it was not easy to understand because it has declinations, this is an analytic language, however I had an advantage, I was studying Latin and Greek and they have declinations too. I establish some meaning with the classical language and my nature language and then I can transfer them to learn Russian, It was an amazing adventure through languages.  

Despite my passion for this languages, after I finished my degree the language that help me to develop my professional way the English, which I studied as a free class at night in the university.   Since that  I go into the “angloworld”, but I have never left my essence as a classical philologist, for that reason I decided to continue with my English study and took a translation English-Spanish-English course, really I was amazing I can being a philologist whit a modern language “English”.  
In my own way with language I have been a detective, a historian and, why not, a poetry. During the time I was dedicated to classical languages, I had to research a lot for a “simple text”(like a little story in a determinate time) because its time, because its uses, because its speakers-writers or because its hearers-readers, and of course because its history, that it is impossible to separate them. In consequence I learned these languages; nowadays this is my first motivation to teach languages.

But I have too an otherwise like a linguist, I have worked closer to linguistics than philology, I have learned to understand the language in its realization, as a life thing which can change, transform and move along the time.  I remember the time when I was living in Sweden with my father’s family, my little sister, Erika, at that time she was 3 years old, and she started to speak, in her two nature languages, Spanish and Russian, her mom is Russian and my dad is Colombian, she used to said – Deisy ven! Titta to tam – this sentence is a mixture of three languages, Russian, Spanish and Swedish, I noticed this phenomena as a particular thing because just the people in the home could to understand her. She was using three different languages in the same sentence without a distinction to communicate a diary activity, the first step to be a “semilingual”. Now I start to be reflexive about the language along my own life, not a professional but a common person in this world.





3 comentarios:

  1. Privet, Deisy.

    You have had an interesting journey in languages. I also have written a bit about my journey on my blog. It’s nice to find another person who also likes the history of languages. I would like to learn Russian in the future (so far I know: privet, kak dela?, horosho, spasiba, udachi, poka), but most Russian-speakers tell me “it’s such a hard language”.

    About your method of studying languages…didn’t you get confused sometimes and mix up all the different languages you were studying?


    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Privet, Sergio:

      I am sure you are going to speak Russia, it is an amazing language, it is not easy to learn because it uses declinations, but if you understand very well the Spanish grammar it is a piece of cake. I learned Russian language whit Alex (Autoaprendizaje de Lenguas Extranjeras) at National University and I had two lovely teachers too.
      I felt confused when I started to learn it, because at the same time I started to learn French, so when I had to memorize the vocabulary I was confused, for this reason I left French and continued whit Russian for three years, when I finished the course I was in the intermediate level. Nowadays I am not sure about my Russian, it is necessary to remember it.

      Eliminar
  2. Deisy:
    When I came to your blog I asked several questions to myself. Your blog so far has only one entry I am wondering what is going on wrong with you. Hope there is nothing else that time constrains for example. Am I wrong? I expected a record of entries on a regular basis scheme. But this is not the case. The other people have done a lot so far. I would like you to be walking on the same direction or at least being chasing them closely. So far I am sincerely expecting much more. Surprise me after Eastern Days and I will be more than glad discovering that you are back on track again. Come on. Cheer up!!!. Your first debate became scholarly and professionally addressed. But progress is urgently needed.

    ResponderEliminar